Tuesday, July 27, 2010

i bought a book

and today I finally read it. It's just a travel book, no in depth novel or anything, but if you're in need of a guide to any major city you could possibly want to travel to, then I've found what you need! It's called the Wallpaper*City Guide.


I have a sentimental connection with windows (yeah, I'm hokey) so as I read my travel book on this drizzly British afternoon while sitting at Album, a cafe in London's upscale-but-low-key Chelsea area (a far cry from my artsy Chelsea back in NYC), I can't help but take a mental picture of my view from this window. The raindrops on the window pane, the cobblestone street, the old bridal shop across the way housed in an even older building, the green window baskets cascading down ...oh & I have a plate of hummus, pita & olives and a glass of pinot grigio... okay, you get the vibe?! It's just all so, well, European.


Oh yeah, back to my little book... published by Phaidon, these tiny travelers may be small in size, but they pack in a lot of good stuff, including beautiful color photographs. The tabs of the book include:

Landmarks -the shape of the city skyline
Hotels -where to stay & which rooms to book
24 Hours -see the best of the city in just one day
Urban Life -cafes, restaurants, bars, & nightlife
Architour -a guide to the city's iconic buildings
Shopping -the best retail therapy & what to buy
Sports -work out, chill out, or just watch
Escapes -where to go if you want to leave town

You can get um for a "fiver" here in London, but back in the States they are still well worth the $10 price tag. Apparently there is also now a Wallpaper*City Guide iPhone app for all you tech-savvy people. Bonus: they come in a rainbow of cute colors *see top picture* & will even fit inside a clutch (speaking from experience, obviously:)

happy travels (or @least travel reading!)
xo em

No comments: