Thursday, July 8, 2010

every little old thing.



my commute or journey as the Brits call it to Goodone
(new internship, more on that to come!) starts out like this:

when I get off the double decker red ohmygoshthey'rereal bus, I stroll along this canal...

notice the fun boats ;)
...and into this alleyway...

...up the stairs I turn around and realize that the view from the studio looks like this:


I'm enjoying every little old thing here in London (literally, everything is little. and old.) The buildings are shorter and, unlike the New York subway, the London Tube may have of been built for friends of Snow White. Though the Tube & the buildings seem to have made me taller, it's quite refreshing to be in a big city where you can see the sky. Some things not so refreshing include people who enjoy making comments about how 'fat' America is or how "Americans are so behind in phone technology" What is that about?! Any-woo...


Today after work I squeezed in a trip to Oxford Circus (things here seem to have the most enchanting names; names like circus instead of 'circle', a tube stop called Elephant and Castle, & their hospital is literally called Royal Hospital) My reason for heading to Oxford Circus was to find one landmark in particular, the renowned luxury department store Liberty of London. Liberty far exceeded my expectations, partly due to the fact that I went just an hour short of closing time so it seemed the whole store was all mine, but mainly because it was full of beautiful clothes made of the most beautiful fabrics. Some of the clothes were by luxe European designers, some by good 'ol American designers, and some by names I hadn't heard before, like Michael Van Der Ham, whose idea of fashion as art is so exciting that putting a picture here wouldn't do it justice (you must see his designs!). ***we interrupt this post to bring you Chanel ...VINTAGE Chanel*** That's right, there's an entire department in Liberty devoted to vintage designer pieces and I found a turn of the century Chanel dress so elegant it would make even a tom-boy want to wear a dress! (still searching for picture of it to share with you ..I couldn't bring myself to attempt a photo session while sales people and security were standing 3 feet away)

Oh, and I'm not quite sure what it means to be a vintage candle, but if heaven were a scent, I assume a Le Labo candle is what it would smell like


...if you're looking to spend $70 on a candle, that is.

Aside from the small subway cars and a couple of small-minded people, I think I really may be inside a fairytale. Many more chapters of this storybook summer to come so stay tuned...

xo emily

No comments: