Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Funny how...



there are simple things that seem so mundane one day and can completely rock your world the next. Windows, I have found, are one of them. The view from my New York window is a bustling scene that captures part sky / part skyline. An explosion of art, there are two studios across the happy tree-lined street. Look down and you can see pottery students spinning & glazing away, look right and you see clear into the window of the Dance Studio Workshop for a free recital any time of day.

The view from my kitchen window in North Carolina speaks for itself:

. . . h e a v e n o n e a r t h . . .


The red umbrella (because it would be a sin for a Wolfpack fan to have any other color umbrella), the tiny vase of flowers straight from the garden (fresh from that morning's bridal shower brunch), the 50-year-old window frame with a hidden rainbow of at least a dozen coats of paint and a little knob that still turns to let in the yummy air, the homemade (by a 9-year-old me) potholder hanging in Mom's kitchen because there are "just some things that she can't throw away".

Funny how I've been looking out of that kitchen window for almost 15 years and haven't realized until now that it's like looking at an illustrated autobiography of this house & our family. I now have two cities that I call mine (don't tell Mom&Dad), but one thing is for sure, as long as that potholder is hanging in that window, I know I have a place to come home to.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for that Weebs,
I love you,
D.